Thursday, January 19, 2012

Obama Plays Keystone Cop

Ever since I saw a documentary on the Alberta tar sands I'd wondered why no one appeared to be standing up to the oil moguls. While Calgary has become a boom town the devastation to the landscape has been unbelievable. But all in the name of oil it was allowed to continue. At least now President Obama has fired a mild warning shot to try to get things under control. I do fear though that whilst environmentalists celebrate this is just one more small battle in the war. I love Canada having been there often to visit friends over the years but from an environmentally conscious nation it seems to have old its soul over oil. All Prime Minister Stephen Harper could do was tell the US they'd be selling more to Asia if the pipeline remains blocked. So much for an environmental conscience. If you haven't caught up with the tar sands project which has sent thousands of Canadians flocking to what was when I first visited the sleepy town of Calgary have a look at http://www.greenpeace.org/international/en/campaigns/climate-change/stop-the-tar-sands/ it gives you a good introduction to what's going on. So at least for now its hats off to Obama but as another another great american once said "it ain't over till its over." 

No comments:

Post a Comment